Under and overdosing on cut flower foods

3 Comments

Penny wise, pound foolish

The composition of cut flower food is fine-tuned in vase life test, in order to get flower development to mimic as if the plant were still intact and to achieve maximum flower performance.  The results of these test are based on precise dosing of its components, which is critical for the test results.

Consequently the composition of cut flower food is based on these findings.  Over- and under-dosing will give sub-optimal or even adverse effects on flowers’ vase life.  Under-dosing is the most critical.  So, although you think you save money by going easy on the flower food, you will end up having no value for your money.  Let’s list the problems due to under- or overdosing.

Skinny or fat?

Below 80% of the recommended dosage, the following problems may occur:

  • abundant growth of micro-organisms
  • bad smell
  • turbid solution
  • stem discoloration
  • lack of flower petal, shape, color and scent development
  • limp flower petals
  • limp leaves
  • leaf yellowing
  • poor flower opening

Above 150% of the recommended dosage, the following problems may occur:

  • leaf burning
  • leaf damage
  • stem discoloration

3 replies on “Under and overdosing on cut flower foods

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *