We can say that most home remedies try to solve some of the post-harvest problems of cut flowers, but there isn’t one among them that optimally supports leaf and flower development.  Which household products are generally used and in what areas do they lack in effectiveness?

1. Chlorine:

An aggressive product for plant tissues, clothing and human skin.  Dosage must be very precise in order not to damage both flowers and leaves.  Even if applied properly, its effect is very short-lived, because household chlorine stops working after half a day, while the cut flowers require support during their entire vase life.

2. Copper coins:

Copper only affects the vase water.  The release of copper from coins, (few coins have copper these days) is very slow and therefore not effective.  (UK & US copper coins have been replaced with a copper colored steel alloy)

3.  Soft drinks:

The amount of food supplements in soft drinks is too small to support natural leaf and flower development as it would occur on the plant.  Any positive effect of this remedy is because of the sugar content and the pH level.  While the citric acid keeps the water “somewhat fresh” and the sugar feeds the flowers, this mixture also encourages bacterial growth, which can harm the flowers.

4.  Sugars:

They are good food source for micro-organisms and ensure quick contamination in vase water.  This remedy is too one sided to be effective for normal leaf and flower development.

5.  Vodka:

Cut flowers and plants like many people can only tolerate small concentrations of alcohol, up to eight percent.  The solution needs to be diluted and can be pretty pricy.

All home remedies for longer lasting flowers lack clear instructions regarding accurate dosage and composition.

The cheapest and most secure option is FLOWER FOOD PACKETS.  Ask your florist for a few extra packets or visit your local floral wholesaler.

Click on the TIPS below for our video on how to properly use the flower food packets.